You may be asking yourself if you actually need a workers compensation lawyer. Well, some cases might never require one to hire a comp lawyer as the insurance company will pay out without causing much trouble. However, it is not always the case that compensation cases are smooth. A worker could intentionally exaggerate injury in order to receive a substantial payout. Alternatively, it could be the employer acting from a business point of view by trying to avoid paying claims. These things happen and when they do, a lawyer will become invaluable.
What exactly does the workers compensation lawyer do?
A lawyer will help you in a number of ways. Some of them include;
- · Navigating the state laws on workers insurance and compensation-all laws are complex and are best handled by qualified lawyers. Your lawyer should help you with collecting and preparing all documents necessary for filing a case. Furthermore, compensation laws differ from state to state making a local attorney the most suitable for the job.
- · Assessing the gravity of the claims – a lawyer can look at your medical records in a bid to file a strong case in your name. They could also uncover past cases of ignorance from the employer and use that evidence to bolster your case.
- · Determining a befitting compensation package- depending on the extent of your injury, a lawyer can tell if a proposed compensation is befitting or not. It’s a case of past experience; they have dealt with a few similar cases before and have an idea of what the package should look like. The compensation has to reflect the extent of disability caused, medical bills and any rehabilitation costs.
- · Filing appeal cases- sometimes an insurance carrier can deny compensation. When this happens, the case doesn’t have to stop; an appeal can be filed. The only person who can ably represent you at an administrative hearing is a comp lawyer.
- · Introduce you to the world on compensation alternatives- even as you wait for compensation, life has to go on. Food has to be put on the table, bills have been paid and so on. For victims who cannot meet these costs without the comp package, your lawyer probably knows of a few ways out.
If you have been injured while performing your duties at work, you have the right to compensation. You are advised to contact a qualified workers compensation lawyer immediately. Employers can be stubborn, its human. But at the end of the day its not his life, it is yours.